1863-S $10 Liberty PCGS XF40 CAC
- Classic Civil War era gold coin
- 45th lowest mintage of 211 $10 Liberty & Indian gold struck 1838-1933
- PCGS price Guide $16,000
- PCGS has only certified 35 coins – 7 in this grade with 18 finer
- Only 2 coins endorsed by CAC – this and an AU58
- According to our sources, only 15 examples in XF have appeared at auction since 1941-!!
The 1863 San Francisco mint $10 gold eagle is a true landmark date in the Liberty No Motto series of $10 Eagles. A mere 10,000 were struck during the height of the San Francisco Mint’s gold rush production (where double eagle totals were many multiples of this figure), with perhaps only 2% or 3% of the original mintage know today, most being heavily abraded and none too attractive. Few, like the present specimen, can be found even in Extremely Fine condition.
Upon close examination and comparison to other examples, the present example is far more pleasing than even the few AU-graded coins that have sold over the past couple of decades. This coin is a real prize for the connoisseur!